Monday, September 21, 2009

the role of my research topic in my future career!

To start of, while I was reading Hannah’s post, I am really impressed and inspired on what she has gone through just to come up with her research topic. It’s one of the nicest posts I’ve read (no kidding! heheheheh)

Anyway, just to second the motion with what Hannah said, honestly speaking, at first it’s really hard to find a research topic that would be interesting enough not just to my professor but also to my classmates. As I have searched in the web, one of the most common topics I had was on the CO2 Calculator. The mere fact that it’s really technical (I mean it involves both hardware and software implementation), I was hesitant at first, but then what urged to propose it to the class via forum is that “everything is worth a try”, what I am trying to imply in here is that it doesn’t matter if my idea is rejected or not, what really matter is I tried. Gladly, it took the attention of my professor that he told me that if I would make some adjustments or new refinements, it would be a good topic. First question that came up to my mind is, am I ready for everything (I should, perhaps.. hahahaha). Another would be is my knowledge enough to do the research (because what I have in mind that time is the implementation stage of the research) and knowing that the hardware part is not my field of expertise. I am really bothered with the way I think and with my attitude and with the way I act. I am on my 5th year in this University and honestly, I really want to graduate and work.

Time passes by, days to weeks, weeks turned into months. Even our professor have been encouraging us and begging us to post our topics, he even asked what is the problem on coming up with our research topic. He kept asking what our problem is so that he could help us, honestly, I am hesitant, and that question that was raised by my professor stuck me in my seat, I simply asked myself, what is really the problem? Is it the theme? I, myself cannot answer the question. Probably because I didn’t do my part as the student, I got pissed off with my attitude, with my laziness. I am only seeing the smaller part of the theme, I stuck with only one topic and not venturing to other. I am dependent in the web. And knowing GREEN COMPUTING is not just focusing on the larger environmental issues but it started with the small things. What I have in mind is only focusing on CO2 Emissions, computers radiating CO2 and wastes of energy. Honestly speaking, I really do not know what I am doing that time or where my path is going. My professor told us that all of us are planning to fail. I was stunned; I simply asked myself, do I really want to fail after 5 long years of hardships in this University?

During a class meeting, our professor decided to do the research by group. As they say, two heads are better than one. On my part 3 heads are better than one. Together with my group, we had our own brainstorm and honestly our brains are stormed! (hahahaha), and again, days turned into weeks, up until one group’s proposal was approved. I think, that’s the go signal for us, we really have to think as hard as possible. What I have in mind is something that is simple but very useful not just to one person but for everybody. As I was charging my phone, an idea came up to my mind, why not make a mobile application that has an alarm system to notify the owner that the battery is 100 % fully charged. It would not just save energy and electricity but also it reduces CO2 Emissions and other harmful gases. It would not just be very helpful to one particular person but it’s everybody who has mobile phones.
As I search in the web, there is an existing IPhone application that has the same idea with mine. But to add a twist with the application, I simply added a feature wherein the application can send text messages to people who can remind the user to unplug the charger. I think the application would not just help the environment but it would be very beneficial to the users not to spend money much. Since, with the help of the application, it can prolong the battery’s life and a person would not spend much money in buying new phones (one cause would be they tend to change their phones because it can no longer be used which would be the result of overcharging). If there are many junk phones, another problem will occur; there will be an increase in E-Waste. Hey! My application is really helpful and its benefits are really rewarding! And as an IT student, it gives motivation to me knowing that developing a mobile application for a good cause and would contribute not just for the betterment of one person, for every mobile user, for every human being but also to save our Mother Earth in my own simple way. After proposing the topic, our group was surprised with the comments with our classmates, they said that it’ really useful and helpful. And gladly, our topic was approved and recently we were able to proceed to the Review of Related Literature stage of our research. It maybe hard at first but then reflecting on a text message that was sent to me by my friend “DO NOT ASK GOD TO GUIDE YOUR STEPS IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO MOVE YOUR FEET”, I know that we are getting there, but with the guidance from up above, I know that we will reach our goals.

Why am I telling you my own journey as I came up with my topic, I think it would simply explain the impact of my research topic in my future career. If one would be observant enough in very small and simple things that are going on with his surroundings, and would be very curious enough to formulate questions, I think that would give a very good impact in research. On my own point of view and basing from my experience in my on the job training, the role of my research topic in my future career is very simple. I would like to develop applications that are useful, interesting and would contribute in saving our Mother Earth. I would like to indulge myself in organizations that do have advocacies in Green Computing. I would like to be a developer, developing any applications that could help each and every one in the world. I maybe very ambitious but that’s my simple way of foreseeing my future. Aside from giving my family a good life, I would like to let them live in a healthy and livable environment. Most probably, if given the chance, I would like to start of here in Davao City. I know that there are students who are interested in Green Computing. What I am trying to say is that, we should not wait let things get worst. As we can see today, we’ve seen changes in our environment.

As far as I can remember, while I was watching a documentary of Al Gore which is entitled “An Inconvenient Truth” which tackles about Global Warming which is a result of abuse of the human kind to the environment. The very simple explanation of global warming is that whenever we want to eat an ice cream, it would just simply melt and we cannot eat it anymore because of the intense heat that we are experiencing. Al Gore pointed out that in ten to twenty years from now, CO2 Emissions will double up and the ice that is on the North Pole would melt and would cause lands to sink. Even today, here in Davao City, we are experiencing the effects of global warming, even in an ample of rain, the downtown do experience flood. And it is the first time in my whole life here in Davao City to see flood up to the knee.

What I am trying to imply here is that, we can see the problems today. Why not implementing solution to lessen the problem right? That in our own way of unplugging the unused wires would help save our mother earth. We may not see the impact of doing the solutions today but surely in the near future, we would be fulfilled and satisfied.

To end this, there are lots of ways in saving our Mother Earth. And in my future career, the impact of my research topic today would truly make a difference and would leave a good mark and experience as to what will in-store for me and my career in the future. Good Day!

0 comments:


Designed by
Blog Need Money